SafeAuto Car Insurance Review in 2022
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 20, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Liability, medical expenses, SR-22 (DUI), and other insurance coverage options are available for new and seasoned drivers in 20 states
- Consumers have access to a simple claim filing process six days a week by phone or any time through an online tool
- SafeAuto was given an A- rating by A.M. Best for strong financial standing, but an F by the Better Business Bureau for customer service
Affordable but adequate car insurance can be hard to find. If you are just looking for the minimum in liability insurance coverage, Safe Auto could be right for your budget. An A-rated insurance company by A.M. Best, Safe Auto strives to make insurance accessible and affordable to any driver.
Before you settle on one insurer, compare quotes between multiple insurers. You may be eligible for special discounts or find that there is better coverage elsewhere.
For an in-depth look at SafeAuto Insurance Company, keep reading.
SafeAuto Car Insurance Coverage
SafeAuto is a subsidiary of National General that got its start in Columbus, Ohio, in 1993. It’s still headquartered in Columbus and now offers insurance coverage in 20 states. It is known for its budget-friendly rates for drivers seeking minimum liability coverage.
For drivers with a clean DMV record and strong credit rating, SafeAuto may not offer the best rates as it is considered a non-standard insurer. Drivers who are often ineligible for coverage elsewhere can turn to SafeAuto for basic coverage. Anyone looking for insurance can select from the following coverage options:
- Liability Coverage for bodily injury and property damage
- Physical Damage through comprehensive or collision coverage
- Personal Injury Protection for the insured driver’s injuries
- Medical Expense Coverage to reimburse medical costs for injured parties
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage for expenses from accidents with underinsured or uninsured drivers
In addition to the more common coverage requirements, Safe Auto carries other options, including rental car coverage to provide partial reimbursement costs for rental services and roadside assistance for limited roadside labor and towing costs in certain states.
Specialty Insurance Coverage With SafeAuto
SafeAuto Insurance is committed to increasing driver access to car insurance and offers high-risk insurance for those who have a limited driving history, poor driving records, or vehicles that may be more likely to be involved in an accident. Risk factors for this coverage could include age, vehicle type, insurance history, credit score, at-fault accidents, DUI/DWI infractions, or multiple speeding or reckless driving incidents on record.
The availability of an SR-22 is part of SafeAuto’s commitment to accessibility. Some states may require drivers to have a form that certifies they carry the state minimum car insurance coverages. This form of proof may be required when a driver has been charged with a DUI, after a history of moving violations or accidents, getting caught driving without insurance, or having a hardship license.
What auto insurance discounts are available with SafeAuto?
To help keep quality car insurance affordable, customers may be eligible for a number of discounts on SafeAuto policies. The eligibility will vary by state, but possible options include the following:
- New Business Transfer Discount. Dependent on changing from another insurance company to SafeAuto
- Multi-Vehicle Discount. Dependent on carrying more than one vehicle on a SafeAuto insurance policy
- Homeowner Discount. Dependent on the insured owning and insuring a home
Safe Driver Discount and the completion of a driver improvement course
- Student Discount. Dependent upon a student’s GPA
- Premium Payment. Dependent on paying the entire premium upfront
Though not considered a discount, SafeAuto has a special pricing option for those who live in California or Illinois through its partnership with Hugo. This is a pay-as-you-go auto insurance policy. Liability coverage is purchased through Hugo, but the policy is completely underwritten, fulfilled, and backed by SafeAuto.
Drivers only pay for insurance for the days they drive, creating savings for those who drive less often. Drivers purchase packages in increments of three, seven, 14, or 30 days when starting. Coverage is paid through a flat rate and controlled through either the use of the web app or a text message.
What states does SafeAuto offer coverage in?
Although headquartered in Columbus, OH, SafeAuto offers coverage in 20 different states, including:
- South Carolina
SafeAuto’s parent company, National General Insurance, offers coverage in all 50 states.
How To File a Car Insurance Claim With SafeAuto
SafeAuto has made it easy for clients to notify the insurer of a claim. Offering multiple methods of making a claim allows you to choose the option that is most comfortable for you.
- Use the online tool on the SafeAuto website to report a new claim, or
- Report a claim by calling the claims department Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. or on Saturday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. (EST)
When filing a claim, it is important to have all the information needed to support your claim. The claims representative will need the following information:
- The time, date, and location of the accident
- The make, model, and year of all of the vehicles that were involved in the accident
- The names, phone numbers, and addresses of everyone involved in the accident, whether passengers or drivers
- The insurance information for any drivers involved
- A detailed overview of how the accident occurred
After the notice of loss is given, the claims adjustor begins an investigation. The investigation could involve talking with all parties involved, talking to appraisers and field adjusters, and reviewing the police report. The outcome of the investigation leads to resolution, which could be repairs, total loss, payment, or litigation when necessary.
To provide its insured with the best possible service, SafeAuto has created the Same Day Pay Program. Rather than waiting on a check for the payout from a claim, customers are given the option of receiving funds as a direct deposit or paid directly to a bank-issued debit card or prepaid card. Claims must be resolved before payments take place.
Does SafeAuto offer any other types of insurance?
Auto insurance isn’t the only type of coverage offered by SafeAuto Insurance Company. Other policies that may be available include:
- Classic car insurance
- Business insurance
- Boat insurance
- ATV insurance
- Flood insurance
- Life insurance
- Condo insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Renter insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Watercraft insurance
Work with a representative at SafeAuto to see which policies apply to your unique situation.
What Kind of Reviews Has SafeAuto Received?
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, SafeAuto receives a high number of consumer complaints. The National Complaint Index sets the market expectations at 1.00, but Safe Auto is currently registered at 9.2. It has also received an F rating from the Better Business Bureau. Consumer reviews in public forums range from highly satisfied to highly dissatisfied.
SafeAuto Insurance: The Wrap-up
SafeAuto Insurance Company is considered a non-standard insurer that offers coverage for drivers with less-than-stellar records, a limited driving history, or other factors considered to be “high risk.” Available in 20 states across the U.S., SafeAuto Insurance offers some standard discounts, as well as unique perks, such as allowing customers to pay only for the days they drive in a typical month. Customer reviews range from highly satisfied to highly dissatisfied and may not offer attractive rates to drivers in good standing.
The best car insurance is affordable and effective in coverage, but narrowing down your choice from the dozens of options can be difficult. The right coverages and car insurance discounts can help shine some clarity on your choices, and the information in this review on SafeAuto should help with your decision-making.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Cheaper Named Operator Policy Car Insurance Rates in 2023
- Will Geico Insure a Car Not in My Name? 2023
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do Trucks Cost More to Insure? 2023
- How Long Does a Dui Stay on Your Record? 2023
- Does the Porsche Club of America Offer Car Insurance? 2023
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Chevrolet Malibu Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Ford Focus Insurance
- Chevrolet Cruze Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area