Cheapest 2012 Nissan Xterra Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Aug 23, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Nobody likes paying for insurance, especially when the price is too high. Having so many insurance companies to choose from, it’s difficult to find the most cost effective car insurance company.
Lesser-known factors impacting Nissan Xterra insurance rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate rates.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Liability insurance is the coverage that protects you if ever you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide you with a defense in court starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Men fork out a little more – The statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. They both cause accidents in similar numbers, but the males cause more damage. They also receive more costly citations such as reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are the most expensive to insure and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
- Poor driving leads to higher costs – Your driving record has a big impact on rates. Even a single citation can increase rates twenty percent or more. Good drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who get flagrant violations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may be required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
- Always keep insurance in force – Not having insurance is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with your state DMV.
Discounts are available to cut your rates
Companies don’t list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on insurance coverage. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Multi-car Discount – Having more than one vehicle on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Sign Online – Some insurance companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- Senior Citizens – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for better insurance coverage rates on Xterra insurance.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Car insurance companies who might offer these benefits include:
Double check with each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Savings might not be offered in your state.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Everyone needs different coverages
When choosing the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions might help in determining whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- When should I remove comp and collision on my 2012 Nissan Xterra?
- Is other people’s property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- What is PIP insurance?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Car insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of your insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find the usual coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Collision – Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for claims like scraping a guard rail, colliding with another moving vehicle, backing into a parked car, colliding with a tree and damaging your car on a curb. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Coverage for medical payments – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for immediate expenses such as pain medications, prosthetic devices, X-ray expenses, nursing services and doctor visits. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability insurance – Liability insurance will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show limits of 50/100/50 that means you have $50,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $50,000.
Liability coverage protects against things such as structural damage, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and funeral expenses. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but you should buy as much as you can afford.
Comprehensive coverages – This coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things like damage from a tornado or hurricane, rock chips in glass, hitting a deer and damage from getting keyed. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
Shop. Compare. Save.
You just learned many ways to get a better price on 2012 Nissan Xterra insurance. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the lowest premiums are with some of the lesser-known companies. These smaller insurers can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Cost effective insurance is available from both online companies and also from your neighborhood agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Additional detailed information can be found by following these links:
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Nissan Altima Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Dodge Grand Caravan Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area