View 2004 Nissan Xterra Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Aug 23, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Trying to find the cheapest insurance rates for your Nissan Xterra? Searching for the cheapest insurance for your Nissan Xterra can turn out to be difficult, but you can learn the following methods and make it easy.
There are both good and bad ways to shop for insurance so we’re going to tell you the proper way to price shop coverage on a Nissan and find the lowest price either online or from local insurance agents.
What determines your Nissan Xterra insurance premium
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating insurance coverage rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Driving with no insurance is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you a steep fine or even jail time.
- Special features that cut premiums – Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your insurance coverage. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart auto theft.
- Pay less if you’re married – Getting married can get you a discount on your insurance coverage policy. Having a significant other means you’re more responsible and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates. If your Nissan Xterra has ratings of a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it may be receiving lower rates.
- Your credit rating is important – Your credit score is a huge factor in your rate calculation. If your credit score is lower than you’d like, you could pay less to insure your 2004 Nissan Xterra by improving your rating. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have poor credit.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Did you know your insurance coverage rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as doctors, social workers and stock brokers are shown to have the highest rates in part from high stress levels and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations like actors, students and performers pay the least for Xterra insurance.
How to Get Cheap Insurance Coverage
Finding a better price on insurance coverage is actually quite simple. Drivers just need to invest a little time to get quotes online from several insurance companies. This can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- Probably the best way to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form keeps you from doing separate quotation requests for each company you want a rate for. A single form gets rate comparisons from insurance coverage companies with the best prices. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A less efficient way to get quotes online is spending the time to visit the website of each company and request a quote. For sake of this example, we’ll pretend you want comparison quotes from State Farm, 21st Century and GEICO. To get rate quotes you would need to visit each site and enter your information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in your area, click here.
However you get your quotes, compare exactly the same information for every company. If you use different limits and deductibles on each one it will be impossible to determine the best price for your Nissan Xterra.
These discounts can lower your rates
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you may find discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be asked about prior to receiving the credit. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you are throwing money away.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle on the same insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Life Insurance – Some companies give better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory air bags can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could qualify for a substantially lower rate.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off your medical payments premium.
It’s important to note that most discounts do not apply the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies don’t profit that way. But all discounts will reduce your overall premium however.
A partial list of companies that may have these benefits are:
Before buying, ask each company how you can save money. All car insurance discounts might not apply in your state.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Different people need different coverages
When buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- How much liability insurance is required?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Are my friends covered when driving my car?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Information about specific coverages
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine appropriate coverage for your vehicles. Insurance terms can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Coverage for medical payments – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for short-term medical expenses such as prosthetic devices, ambulance fees and EMT expenses. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers both the driver and occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Uninsured and underinsured coverage – This provides protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Nissan Xterra.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently these limits are set the same as your liablity limits.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays for damage to your Xterra from colliding with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against claims like crashing into a ditch, crashing into a building, backing into a parked car, hitting a parking meter and scraping a guard rail. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Liability coverages – This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to people or other property. This coverage protects you from claims by other people, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 25/50/25 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for claims like bail bonds, court costs, funeral expenses, loss of income and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible.
Comprehensive coverages – Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as hail damage, damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a bird and a broken windshield. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Shop around and save
Cheap 2004 Nissan Xterra insurance is possible on the web in addition to many insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Insureds leave their current company for any number of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, high rates after DUI convictions, unfair underwriting practices and even being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason, switching insurance companies is not as hard as you think.
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can shop for insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may discover the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company.
More information can be read at these links:
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Honda Odyssey Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Jeep Wrangler Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area