Cheapest 2002 Volvo S80 Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Trying to find cheaper car insurance rates for your Volvo S80? No one in their right mind looks forward to paying for car insurance, especially knowing the price is too high.
There are many insurers to insure vehicles with, and although it’s a good thing to have multiple companies, it can be more difficult to locate the cheapest rates.
The purpose of this post is to familiarize you with how car insurance quotes work and some tips to save money. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will most likely be able to reduce your rates substantially using these techniques. But consumers need to have an understanding of how insurance companies market insurance on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
The fastest way that we advise to compare rates is to know the trick auto insurance companies actually pay money for the chance to compare rate quotes. All consumers are required to do is provide a little information such as driver details, which vehicles you own, what your job is, and whether you have decent credit. That rating information is sent automatically to multiple insurance coverage providers and you will get price comparisons instantly to find the best rate.
Volvo S80 rate determination is complex
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for insurance. Knowing what determines base rates enables informed choices that will entitle you to lower insurance prices.
Listed below are some of the factors insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Better crash test results mean better rates – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Safer cars reduce injuries and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates. If your Volvo S80 earned at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you may qualify for a discount.
- Pay less after the wedding – Being married actually saves money on your insurance policy. It usually means you are more mature than a single person and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – The liability section of your policy is the protection if you are found liable for damages from an accident. Liability provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Teen drivers pay high rates – Older insureds tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and get fewer tickets. Teen drivers tend to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a lot of add-on coverages you can purchase on your insurance policy. Things like personal injury protection, better glass coverage and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good at first, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
Save with discounts on 2002 Volvo S80 insurance
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you may find discounts that you may not know about. Most are applied when you purchase, but a few must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Accident Waiver – Certain companies allow you one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims for a certain period of time.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Paperless Signup – Some insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more on S80 insurance than their less cautious counterparts.
- Anti-theft System – Anti-theft and alarm systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Require your teen driver to complete a driver education course in high school.
It’s important to note that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck. But any discount will cut your overall premium however.
To see a list of providers offering car insurance discounts, follow this link.
Tailor your coverage to you
When buying adequate coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Learning about specific coverages of car insurance helps when choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Shown next are the usual coverages available from car insurance companies.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for immediate expenses such as doctor visits, hospital visits, dental work, pain medications and surgery. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
This pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as damage from getting keyed, theft and rock chips in glass. The maximum payout your car insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for liability
This provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property in an accident. This insurance protects YOU against claims from other people, and doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 50/100/50 that translate to $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $100,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability insurance covers things such as structural damage, repair costs for stationary objects, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, court costs and pain and suffering. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Volvo S80.
Since many drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Most of the time the UM/UIM limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Collision coverage protection
This pays for damage to your S80 from colliding with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims like sideswiping another vehicle, scraping a guard rail, colliding with another moving vehicle and crashing into a ditch. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also bump up the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Never pay more for less
When shopping online for insurance coverage, you should never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced full coverage only to regret at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price.
Budget-conscious 2002 Volvo S80 insurance is definitely available from both online companies as well as from independent agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
For more information, take a look at the articles below:
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Cheaper Named Operator Policy Car Insurance Rates in 2023
- Will Geico Insure a Car Not in My Name? 2023
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do Trucks Cost More to Insure? 2023
- How Long Does a Dui Stay on Your Record? 2023
- Does the Porsche Club of America Offer Car Insurance? 2023
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Ford Fusion Insurance
- Toyota Highlander Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Hyundai Tucson Insurance
- Chevrolet Impala Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area