Cheapest 2012 Volkswagen Golf Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Apr 27, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Want cheaper auto insurance rates for your Volkswagen Golf? No one looks forward to paying for auto insurance, particularly when the cost is way too high. There are many auto insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have multiple companies, it can be more challenging to locate the cheapest rates.
Consumers should take time to check auto insurance prices yearly since insurance rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price on Golf insurance a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Starting right now, forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I’m going to teach you the quickest way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Buying car insurance is not that difficult. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce your rates substantially using this information. Consumers only need an understanding of the best way to compare prices on the web.
Volkswagen Golf premiums are determined by many factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to big savings.
The list below includes a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate prices.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims passed on to you as lower rates. If your Volkswagen Golf earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Marriage brings a discount – Having a spouse helps lower the price on your car insurance policy. Marriage means you’re more mature than a single person and it’s statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – Your credit rating is a big factor in determining your rates. Drivers with excellent credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with lower credit scores. So if your credit score can use some improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your 2012 Volkswagen Golf by improving your rating.
- Drive less and save money – Driving more miles in a year’s time the higher your rate. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars used primarily for pleasure use can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Double check that your car insurance coverage is rated on the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money. If your policy improperly rates your Golf can cost quite a bit.
- High deductibles save money – The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. The more you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be on Golf insurance.
Low Cost Car Insurance
Most companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO give pricing on the web. Obtaining pricing doesn’t take a lot of time as you simply type in the coverages you want as detailed in the form. Once entered, the system collects reports for credit and driving violations and generates a price based on these factors. Quoting online makes comparing rates easy, but the process of having to visit different websites and type in the same information is not the best way to spend an afternoon. But it is imperative to have as many quotes as possible if you want to find the lowest car insurance rates.
An easier way to locate the lowest prices requires only one form to get prices from several different companies. It saves time, requires much less work on your part, and makes comparison shopping much easier. After sending your information, your coverage is rated with multiple companies and you can pick any or none of the returned quotes. If a lower price is quoted, you can simply submit the application and buy the policy. It takes 15 minutes at the most and you’ll know if lower rates are available.
To compare rates using this form now, simply click here to open in new window and submit the form. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended that you enter deductibles and limits exactly as shown on your declarations page. This helps ensure you will receive a price comparison based on the exact same insurance coverage.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Companies that sell car insurance do not advertise every discount very well, so we researched both the well known and also the lesser-known ways to save on car insurance. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you are throwing money away.
- 55 and Retired – If you’re over the age of 55, you may be able to get reduced rates on Golf insurance.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home can help you save on car insurance because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of insurance companies will give a small break for buying your policy online.
- Accident Waiver – A few companies permit an accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear for a certain period of time.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts of more than 20%.
- Good Student Discount – This discount can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates you could get a free car insurance policy, you’re out of luck.
For a list of insurers offering car insurance discounts, click here.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For instance, these questions may help highlight whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Specific coverage details
Understanding the coverages of a insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Listed below are the normal coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Auto liability insurance
Liability insurance will cover damage or injury you incur to a person or their property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see limits of 25/50/25 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability insurance covers claims like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, structural damage and medical expenses. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but buy as much as you can afford.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage covers damage to your Golf caused by collision with an object or car. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things like damaging your car on a curb, crashing into a ditch, colliding with another moving vehicle, sideswiping another vehicle and rolling your car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
This covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things like theft, hitting a bird, hail damage and hitting a deer. The highest amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for immediate expenses such as dental work, hospital visits, ambulance fees, X-ray expenses and EMT expenses. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Volkswagen Golf.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Be a Smart Shopper
As you shop your coverage around, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, drivers have reduced full coverage and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
Cheaper 2012 Volkswagen Golf insurance is attainable online as well as from independent agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some companies don’t offer online quoting and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
We just covered a lot of techniques to lower your insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may even discover the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
Additional information can be found at these links:
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Hyundai Elantra Insurance
- Nissan Altima Insurance
- Dodge Grand Caravan Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area