Cheapest 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Tired of scraping the payment together to buy car insurance? Your situation is no different than many other drivers. With so many companies to choose from, it is very difficult to choose the most cost effective insurer.
Verify You’re Getting All Your Discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize all their discounts very clearly, so here is a list both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount for Cobalt insurance depending on your company.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Use Seat Belts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Early Signing – Select companies give a discount for switching to them before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- College Student – Children who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger companies have lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Save over 55 – If you’re over the age of 55, you can possibly qualify for a small decrease in premiums for Cobalt insurance.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles on the same insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
Consumers should know that some credits don’t apply the whole policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
To see a list of insurers offering insurance discounts, follow this link.
Compare the Market for Auto Insurance
There are a variety of methods to compare 2006 Chevy Cobalt auto insurance prices and some are easier and takes less work. You can waste hours talking about coverages with local insurance agents in your area, or you could use the web to get pricing more quickly.
Most major companies belong to a marketplace that allows shoppers to enter their coverage request one time, and at least one company can give them a price. This eliminates the need for form submissions for each company you want a rate for.
To get comparison pricing now click to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to using this type of form is that you can’t choose which insurance companies to receive prices from. If you prefer to choose specific providers to compare, we put together a list of low cost auto insurance companies in your area. Click here to view list.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just make sure you use the exact same coverages and limits for each comparison quote. If your comparisons have different deductibles it’s impossible to determine the lowest rate for your Chevy Cobalt.
Factors Influencing Chevy Cobalt Insurance Rates
It’s important that you understand the factors that help determine auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
The following are some of the factors that factor into your rates.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates. If your Chevy earned at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you are probably receiving a discount.
- More claims means more premium – Car insurance companies award lower rates to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to either higher rates or even cancellation. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- Battle of the sexes – Statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. They both are in accidents in similar percentages, but the males cause more damage. They also get more serious tickets such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are the most expensive to insure and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
- Policy add-ons can waste money – There are a lot of extra coverages that you can buy when buying auto insurance. Coverages like personal injury protection, towing coverage and term life insurance are some examples. They may seem good when talking to your agent, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
- Lower rates come with age – More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel. Young drivers tend to get distracted easily when driving therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Your credit rating is important – A driver’s credit history is a huge factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. If your credit rating is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt by spending a little time repairing your credit. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
- Poor driving leads to higher costs – Your driving citation history has a huge affect on how much you pay. Careful drivers have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Only having one moving violation can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Drivers who have flagrant citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – The more you drive each year the higher your rates will be. Most companies rate vehicles based on their usage. Cars that are left in the garage receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Improper usage on your Cobalt can cost quite a bit. Verify your auto insurance policy properly reflects the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
When should I talk to an agent?
When it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For instance, these questions might help in determining whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Are you falling for claims of savings?
Consumers can’t get away from ads that promise big savings from companies such as Allstate and Progressive. All the companies have a common claim about savings if you change your policy.
How do they all make almost identical claims?
All the different companies can use profiling for the type of driver they prefer to insure. An example of a preferred risk could possibly be between the ages of 40 and 55, is a homeowner, and drives newer vehicles. A driver that hits that “sweet spot” gets the lowest rates and therefore will save when they switch companies.
Consumers who don’t meet the requirements will be charged higher prices and this can result in business not being written. Company advertisements say “customers that switch” not “people who quote” save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can state the savings. That is why you need to get quotes from several different companies. You cannot predict the company that will give you the biggest savings on Chevy Cobalt insurance.
Car Insurance Coverages for a 2006 Chevy Cobalt
Having a good grasp of your auto insurance policy can help you determine the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find typical coverage types found on most auto insurance policies.
Liability auto insurance
This will cover damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people that is your fault. It protects you from legal claims by others. Liability doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 50/100/50 that translate to a limit of $50,000 per injured person, a total of $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers claims like loss of income, bail bonds, medical expenses, repair costs for stationary objects and medical services. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but buy as large an amount as possible.
This will pay to fix damage to your Cobalt resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims like sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a mailbox and damaging your car on a curb. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive auto coverage
This covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like hail damage, vandalism, hitting a bird, damage from flooding and fire damage. The highest amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
This protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for expenses such as EMT expenses, dental work, X-ray expenses, ambulance fees and funeral costs. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers you and your occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
At The End of the Day…
The cheapest 2006 Chevy Cobalt insurance can be bought both online in addition to many insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies do not provide online quoting and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
When you buy insurance online, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut full coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Even more information is located in these articles:
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Cheaper Named Operator Policy Car Insurance Rates in 2023
- Will Geico Insure a Car Not in My Name? 2023
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do Trucks Cost More to Insure? 2023
- How Long Does a Dui Stay on Your Record? 2023
- Does the Porsche Club of America Offer Car Insurance? 2023
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- GMC Sierra Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Dodge Grand Caravan Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area