Cheapest 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Aug 23, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Searching for cheaper car insurance rates for your Ford Explorer Sport Trac? If shopping for car insurance online is new to you, you may be overwhelmed because of the huge number of online car insurance companies and websites all offering big savings.
The quickest method to compare policy rates is to realize all the major auto insurance companies participate in a system to compare rate quotes. All consumers are required to do is provide details such as whether the vehicles are used for commuting, if you went to college, if a SR-22 is needed, and deductibles desired. Those rating factors is then submitted to many highly-rated insurers and they return quotes almost instantly.
How to reduce 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac insurance rates
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, buy you may qualify for discounts to help offset the cost. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied before being credited.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with better rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- Good Students Pay Less – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. The discount lasts until age 25.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Resident Student – Kids in college living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could qualify for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will reduce your overall premium however.
Insurance companies who might offer these benefits include:
Before buying, ask every prospective company what discounts are available to you. Savings might not be offered in your state.
Factors that can influence insurance rates for a Ford Explorer Sport Trac
It’s important that you understand the factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to better car insurance rates.
The following are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine prices.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – If you file claims often, you can expect higher rates. Insurance companies award cheaper rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Your credit rating is important – Having a bad credit rating is a important factor in calculating your car insurance rates. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have lower credit ratings. So if your credit rating can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac by repairing your credit.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Women and men tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but men cause more damage. Men also get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Young males tend to get in the most accidents and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? – Liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. It provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates. If the Ford Explorer Sport Trac scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you are probably receiving a discount.
- Special features that cut premiums – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- Lower deductibles cost more – The deductibles define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage coverage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, vandalism, and windstorm damage. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive for Explorer Sport Trac insurance.
Tailor your coverage to you
When choosing adequate coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For instance, these questions may help highlight if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required minimum liability coverage?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Auto insurance coverage basics
Having a good grasp of a auto insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Collision insurance covers damage to your Explorer Sport Trac caused by collision with an object or car. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against things like sideswiping another vehicle, damaging your car on a curb and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible to bring the cost down.
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Usually these coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
This coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property that is your fault. It protects you against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see values of 25/50/25 which stand for a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage protects against things such as pain and suffering, legal defense fees, medical services, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and repair costs for stationary objects. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but buy higher limits if possible.
Medical costs insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for bills such as surgery, rehabilitation expenses and nursing services. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This coverage covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as theft, a broken windshield and fire damage. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Cheaper insurance is a realistic goal
You just read many tips how you can get a better price on 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from the least-expected company.
As you shop your coverage around, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Consumers switch companies for many reasons like high prices, delays in responding to claim requests, questionable increases in premium and even not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason, finding a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Cheaper Named Operator Policy Car Insurance Rates in 2023
- Will Geico Insure a Car Not in My Name? 2023
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do Trucks Cost More to Insure? 2023
- How Long Does a Dui Stay on Your Record? 2023
- Does the Porsche Club of America Offer Car Insurance? 2023
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- GMC Sierra Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Toyota Tacoma Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area