Cheapest 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Sep 2, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Are you tired of scraping the payment together to buy car insurance? You are no different than the majority of other car owners.
Online insurance companies like GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with advertising and it is challenging if not impossible to see through the deception and do the work needed to find the best deal.
If you currently have car insurance, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy. Finding the best rates is not that difficult. But consumers must understand the way companies market insurance on the web.
Why you might be paying too much to insure your Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for insurance coverage. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to lower insurance coverage prices.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Driving with no insurance can get your license suspended and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage have a gap. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – Your credit rating is a huge factor in determining your rates. People with high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than those with lower credit scores. If your credit score can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac by improving your rating.
- An active claims history can cost you – If you frequently file small claims, you can definitely plan on either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance companies provide better rates to people who file claims infrequently. Car insurance is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Liability insurance protects assets – The liability section of your policy is the protection if ever a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- How many coverages with the same company – The majority of insurers provide better rates to people who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money. Consumers may find better rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Your spouse saves you money – Getting married can actually save you money when buying insurance coverage. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
The fastest way that we advise to get policy rate comparisons is to know the trick auto insurance companies will pay a fee to compare their rates. All consumers are required to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details such as how much coverage you want, an estimate of your credit level, if you have a valid license, and how many miles driven. The rating information is then submitted to multiple companies and you will get price comparisons immediately.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but companies offer discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you can possibly qualify for better car insurance rates for Explorer Sport Trac insurance.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same company you may save at least 10% off all policies.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Good Student Discount – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers pay less when compared with bad drivers.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will reduce your overall premium however.
Companies that may have these money-saving discounts are:
Double check with all companies you are considering which discounts you may be entitled to. Discounts might not apply in your state.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of insurance coverage companies in your area.
Detailed coverages of your insurance policy
Learning about specific coverages of insurance helps when choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. These are the usual coverages available from insurance companies.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as hitting a deer, a broken windshield, damage from a tornado or hurricane and hail damage. The most your insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for expenses for surgery, doctor visits and pain medications. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Coverage for collisions
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Explorer Sport Trac caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things such as damaging your car on a curb, sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a ditch and driving through your garage door. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Ford Explorer Sport Trac.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
This coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people in an accident. This coverage protects you from claims by other people, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 100/300/100 which means a $100,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $300,000, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined limit which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage protects against things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, attorney fees, pain and suffering, medical expenses and court costs. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible.
Quote more, save more
Budget-conscious 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac insurance can be found on the web in addition to many insurance agents, so compare prices from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional car insurance information can be found on the following sites:
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Subaru Forester Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Nissan Altima Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area