Cheapest 1998 Ford Ranger Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Feb 10, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Looking for lower auto insurance rates for your Ford Ranger? Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy high-priced auto insurance? Trust us, you’re not alone. There are many insurers to pick from, and although it’s a good thing to have a choice, so many choices can make it hard to compare rates and find the lowest cost auto insurance.
This article will help educate you on how car insurance quotes work and some money-saving tips. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy. Drivers just need to know the tricks to shop for insurance coverage on the web.
The best way we recommend to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to take advantage of the fact most insurance companies provide online access to give free rates quotes. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is give them some information like whether the vehicles are used for commuting, if it has an anti-theft system, your education level, and daily mileage. Your insurance information is instantly sent to multiple different insurance companies and they return cost estimate very quickly.
Ford Ranger rates influenced by many factors
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that help determine your insurance rates. Knowing what controls the rates you pay enables informed choices that will entitle you to better insurance rates.
The following are some of the items insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are quite a few extra coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Coverages like roadside assistance, better glass coverage and additional equipment coverage are some examples. These may sound like a good investment at first, but now you might not need them so get rid of them and save.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Driving your car without having proper coverage is against the law and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Occupations such as real estate brokers, architects and financial analysts are shown to have higher average rates in part from high stress and long work hours. Conversely, jobs such as actors, engineers and retirees pay the least for Ranger coverage.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars protect occupants better and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and thus lower rates. If your Ford Ranger scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it may be receiving lower rates.
- Bundling policies can get discounts – Some companies provide better rates to people who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to shop around to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Men are more aggressive – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Both sexes cause accidents at a similar rate, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Purchasing a vehicle with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there are discounts available to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but less common discounts must be requested specifically prior to getting the savings. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less for Ranger coverage than less cautious drivers.
- One Accident Forgiven – Certain companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Driver Safety – Successfully completing a defensive driving course could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Paperless Signup – A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child take driver’s ed class in school.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for new cars.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will cut your premiums.
A partial list of companies who might offer some of the above discounts include:
Double check with all companies you are considering how you can save money. Some discounts might not apply everywhere.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of insurance coverage companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
Auto insurance policy specifics
Knowing the specifics of your policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are typical coverages found on the average auto insurance policy.
Auto collision coverage
Collision insurance pays for damage to your Ranger from colliding with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, crashing into a ditch, hitting a mailbox, backing into a parked car and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive auto coverage
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like fire damage, rock chips in glass, damage from flooding, hail damage and theft. The most a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Ford Ranger.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for expenses for things like EMT expenses, rehabilitation expenses and ambulance fees. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. It protects you against other people’s claims, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 25/50/25 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL which combines the three limits into one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as legal defense fees, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and pain and suffering. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but consider buying higher limits if possible.
Smart shoppers get results
Lower-priced 1998 Ford Ranger insurance is definitely available on the web and with local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
When you buy insurance online, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
You just read a lot of techniques to lower your insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Additional learning opportunities
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Chevrolet Impala Insurance
- Volkswagen Jetta Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Toyota Prius Insurance
- Chevrolet Traverse Insurance
- Ford Edge Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area