Cheapest 1997 Land Rover Defender Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Mar 23, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Want cheaper insurance coverage rates for your Land Rover Defender? No one in their right mind likes having to buy insurance coverage, especially knowing they are paying too much.
Insurance companies such as Allstate, Liberty Mutual and State Farm all claim big savings with catchy ads and it is difficult to ignore the promise of big savings and do the work needed to find the best deal.
If you currently have car insurance, you should be able to cut costs considerably using this information. Finding the best rates is easy if you know what you’re doing. But vehicle owners must learn how insurance companies market on the web and apply this information to your search.
Don’t overlook these discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, buy you may qualify for discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time of quoting, but lesser-known reductions have to be specifically requested prior to getting the savings.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Sign Early and Save – A few companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Claim Free – Good drivers with no accidents pay less when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less on Defender insurance than less cautious drivers.
- Accident Forgiveness – Certain companies will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you have multiple policies with one insurance company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down on your Land Rover could be rewarded with better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
Drivers should understand that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any amount of discount will cut the amount you have to pay.
Companies who might offer these money-saving discounts include:
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company which discounts they offer. Some discounts might not apply in every state.
Is my situation unique?
When it comes to choosing coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Every insured’s situation is different so this has to be addressed. These are some specific questions might help in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- What is the minimum liability in my state?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Car insurance coverages explained
Knowing the specifics of your policy can help you determine which coverages you need for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverages found on most car insurance policies.
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Defender resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things like sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a mailbox and hitting a parking meter. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also increase the deductible to bring the cost down.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your 1997 Land Rover Defender.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Liability insurance will cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property in an accident. It protects YOU against claims from other people. Liability doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have limits of 100/300/100 that translate to a limit of $100,000 per injured person, a total of $300,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $100,000. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for claims like pain and suffering, funeral expenses, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and attorney fees. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible.
Comprehensive auto coverage
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things like a broken windshield, rock chips in glass, hitting a deer, theft and hail damage. The most a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for short-term medical expenses for nursing services, dental work, rehabilitation expenses and surgery. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
More choices the merrier
Low-cost 1997 Land Rover Defender insurance is available from both online companies in addition to many insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
For more information, feel free to visit the resources below:
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Insitute)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
Use our FREE quote tool to compare rates now!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Cheaper Named Operator Policy Car Insurance Rates in 2023
- Will Geico Insure a Car Not in My Name? 2023
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do Trucks Cost More to Insure? 2023
- How Long Does a Dui Stay on Your Record? 2023
- Does the Porsche Club of America Offer Car Insurance? 2023
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Toyota Tacoma Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Jeep Wrangler Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Ford Fusion Insurance
- Hyundai Elantra Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area