Cheapest 1996 Saturn S-Series Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Shopping for the cheapest auto insurance on the web may be problematic for beginners to buying insurance on the web. With such a large number of online companies available, how can drivers effectively compare every one to find the lowest rates?
Saturn S-Series rates are in the details
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating the price you pay for insurance. Knowing what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get big savings.
Shown below are some of the factors used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Your credit rating is important – A driver’s credit history is a big factor in determining your rates. If your credit history is not that good, you could pay less to insure your 1996 Saturn S-Series by improving your rating. Drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
- Always keep insurance in force – Driving your car without having proper coverage is against the law and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a steep fine or even jail time.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safer cars result in less severe injuries and lower injury rates means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you. If the Saturn S-Series is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov it may be receiving lower rates.
Lots of discounts mean lots of savings
Car insurance companies do not list every available discount very clearly, so we break down some of the best known as well as the least known discounts you could be receiving.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child complete a driver education course in high school.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Defensive Driver – Successfully completing a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Memberships – Belonging to a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break when buying car insurance on S-Series coverage.
- Accident Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially when compared to bad drivers.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with lower rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To see a list of insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts, click this link.
Situations that might require an agent
When buying the right insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- What are the best liability limits?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Insurance coverages 101
Understanding the coverages of insurance aids in choosing appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for expenses for nursing services, EMT expenses, surgery and dental work. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This gives you protection from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Saturn S-Series.
Since many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Collision coverage – This will pay to fix damage to your S-Series resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things such as hitting a parking meter, sideswiping another vehicle and scraping a guard rail. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also raise the deductible to bring the cost down.
Liability car insurance – This provides protection from damage or injury you incur to people or other property. It protects YOU against other people’s claims, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 25/50/25 which stand for a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like funeral expenses, attorney fees, pain and suffering, court costs and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible.
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like a broken windshield, hitting a bird, rock chips in glass, theft and falling objects. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Never pay more for less
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, unfair underwriting practices, not issuing a premium refund and extreme rates for teen drivers. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
While you’re price shopping online, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Lower-priced 1996 Saturn S-Series insurance is definitely available both online and with local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. A few companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
More information is located below:
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Chevrolet Traverse Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Hyundai Tucson Insurance
- Ford Edge Insurance
- Nissan Altima Insurance
- GMC Sierra Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area