Cheapest 2017 Ford Explorer Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Dec 17, 2019
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Buying the most affordable insurance online is somewhat difficult for vehicle owners that are relatively new to comparing and buying insurance over the internet. With more and more companies competing online, how are vehicle owners able to effectively compare them all to find better prices?
It is always a good idea to do price comparisons before your policy renews because insurance prices go up and down regularly. Even if you got the best rate on Explorer coverage a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Ignore everything you know about insurance because you’re about to learn how to use the internet to lower your annual insurance bill.
Compare auto insurance rates
Performing a rate comparison can be a daunting task if you don’t know the fastest way to get free quotes. You could waste time discussing policy coverages with insurance companies in your area, or you can stay home and use the internet to get prices fast.
Most major companies enroll in a system where prospective buyers enter their policy data once, and each participating company can provide price quotes based on that data. This system prevents you from having to do quote forms to each company.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now click here (opens in new window).
The only downside to pricing coverage this way is that consumers can’t choose which insurance companies to receive prices from. If you prefer to choose individual companies to receive pricing from, we have assembled a list of auto insurance companies in your area. Click here for list of insurance companies.
Whichever way you choose to compare rates, make darn sure you compare exactly the same quote data for each price quote. If you use unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be impossible to determine the best price for your Ford Explorer. Just slight variations in limits may result in a large different in cost. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing all the rates in your area will increase your chances of finding the best price. Some smaller insurers to not give rate quotes online, so you should also compare quotes from them, too.
Insurance coverage policy discounts
Car insurance companies don’t necessarily list every possible discount very well, so we took the time to find some of the more common and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using when you buy auto insurance online.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Driving Data Discount – Drivers that enable companies to scrutinize driving manner by using a telematics device in their vehicle like Allstate’s Drivewise could see a rate decrease as long as they are good drivers.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Military Rewards – Being on active deployment in the military may lower your insurance coverage rates slightly.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one isn’t a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Claim Free – Insureds with no claims or accidents have much lower rates compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Government Employees – Active or former government employment can earn a discount up to 10% on Explorer coverage with certain companies.
- E-sign – A handful of larger companies will give you a small discount for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Distant Student – who are enrolled in higher education away from home without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
Consumers should know that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
If you would like to see a list of insurers with discount insurance coverage rates, click here to view.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing the best insurance coverage coverage for your vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
These are some specific questions can help discover if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Is my 2017 Ford Explorer covered for smoke damage?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- How much liability insurance is required?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Car insurance coverage specifics
Understanding the coverages of car insurance helps when choosing appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Ford Explorer.
Due to the fact that many drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for immediate expenses such as EMT expenses, nursing services, chiropractic care, dental work and ambulance fees. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive auto coverage
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as vandalism, falling objects and damage from flooding. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Collision coverage protection
This will pay to fix damage to your Explorer resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, hitting a mailbox and sideswiping another vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. You can also raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Liability auto insurance
This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to other’s property or people by causing an accident. It protects you against claims from other people. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see values of 25/50/25 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability coverage protects against things such as court costs, medical expenses and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Hyundai Santa Fe Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Chevrolet Impala Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area