Compare 2012 Volkswagen Routan Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Trying to find better auto insurance rates for your Volkswagen Routan? Expensive auto insurance can empty your checking account and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Doing a price comparison is a great way to slash your bill and have more diposable income.
Multiple auto insurance companies compete for your business, so it can be very hard to choose a insurer to discover the definitive best price available.
Factors determining your Volkswagen Routan insurance premium
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that help determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in big savings.
- Do men or women drive better? – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. They both tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but the males cause more damage. They also have more aggressive citations like reckless driving and DUI. Young males tend to get in the most accidents and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Bump up deductibles to save – The deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend if you file a covered claim. Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and burglary. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive for Routan insurance.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Auto insurance companies generally give cheaper rates to policyholders who are claim-free. If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are a ton of extra coverages that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Insurance for rental car reimbursement, towing coverage and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- How your age affects price – Youthful drivers are known to be less responsible in a vehicle so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Mature drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you. If your Volkswagen Routan is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov it may be receiving lower rates.
Free Car Insurance Quotes
Comparing car insurance rates can be challenging if you don’t utilize the best way to get rate quotes. You can waste a few hours (or days) discussing policy coverages with local insurance agents in your area, or you can stay home and use the internet to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
Most of the larger companies take part in a program that enables customers to enter their policy data once, and every company can provide price quotes. This prevents consumers from doing quote requests to each company. To find out what other companies charge for 2012 Volkswagen Routan insurance click here to open in new window.
The only downside to getting quotes like this is you cannot specify which companies you want to price. If you would rather choose specific insurance companies to compare prices, we put together a list of the cheapest car insurance companies in your area. View list of insurance companies.
It’s up to you which method you use, but double check that you are using identical information for each comparison quote. If you enter differing limits it will be impossible to determine which rate is truly the best. Just a small difference in coverage limits can make a big difference in price. Just keep in mind that more quotes will enable you to find a lower rate.
Is there deception in advertising?
Progressive, Allstate and GEICO continually stream ads on television and other media. All the companies make the same claim about savings after switching your coverage to them. But how can every company claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
Insurance companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of customer that earns them a profit. A good example of a desirable insured could possibly be between 30 and 50, has no prior claims, and has a short commute. A customer getting a price quote who matches those parameters will get the preferred rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don’t measure up to this ideal profile must pay more money which leads to the customer not buying. Company advertisements say “people who switch” not “people who quote” save that much money. This is how insurance companies can claim big savings. This illustrates why it’s extremely important to get a wide range of price quotes. You cannot predict which auto insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
Discounts are available to cut your rates
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize all their discounts very clearly, so we break down some of the best known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- Memberships – Belonging to a professional or civic organization may earn a discount on auto insurance for Routan insurance.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount for Routan insurance with certain companies.
- Save over 55 – Mature drivers may qualify for reduced rates for Routan insurance.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Paperwork-free – Certain companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt could save 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who attend school more than 100 miles from home and don’t have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To see a list of insurance companies who offer auto insurance discounts, follow this link.
Everyone needs different coverages
When it comes to buying the best car insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Auto insurance coverage options for a 2012 Volkswagen Routan
Knowing the specifics of your policy can help you determine the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Auto insurance terms can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Shown next are typical coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Liability auto insurance – Liability insurance can cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property by causing an accident. It protects you from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 25/50/25 which stand for $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability coverage protects against claims like pain and suffering, structural damage, funeral expenses and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Collision – This coverage will pay to fix damage to your Routan from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims like damaging your car on a curb, driving through your garage door and colliding with a tree. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also raise the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for expenses like pain medications, X-ray expenses, EMT expenses, dental work and funeral costs. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive coverage – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as a broken windshield, theft, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a bird and damage from flooding. The maximum amount your auto insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – This coverage gives you protection when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Quote more, save more
You just learned some good ideas how you can compare 2012 Volkswagen Routan insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the best price on car insurance is with an unexpected company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
Cost effective insurance can be found from both online companies as well as from independent agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
To learn more, take a look at the resources below:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Honda Odyssey Insurance
- Chevrolet Impala Insurance
- Jeep Wrangler Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Hyundai Sonata Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area