2012 Chevrolet Malibu Insurance Quotes
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Dec 1, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Are you a victim of an underperforming, overpriced auto insurance policy? Trust us, there are many people just like you. There are many insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it’s nice to have a selection, so many choices can make it hard to locate the cheapest rates.
It’s a great practice to check auto insurance prices occasionally because rates go up and down regularly. Just because you had the lowest rates on Malibu coverage last year the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. So just ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in one of the quickest ways to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
The purpose of this article is to tell you the best way to quote coverages. If you have car insurance now, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using these tips. Drivers only need an understanding of the most efficient way to find the lowest price online.
Vehicle Insurance Comparison
There are several ways to compare Chevy Malibu insurance coverage quotes, and some are less time-consuming than others. You could spend the better part of a day driving to agents in your area, or you could use the web to get rate comparisons in just a few minutes.
Most car insurance companies are enrolled in a marketplace that enables customers to submit their information once, and each company can provide price quotes. This system prevents you from having to do quote forms to each individual insurance coverage company.
To compare pricing click here to open in new window.
The single downside to getting quotes like this is you don’t know exactly the providers you will receive quotes from.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just make sure you use exactly the same coverage information for each comparison quote. If you enter higher or lower deductibles you will not be able to truly determine the lowest rate.
Take advantage of discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at quote time, but a few need to be manually applied before you get the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles on your Chevy could qualify for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less on Malibu coverage than their less cautious counterparts.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Student Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Early Switch Discount – Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Driver Safety – Completing a defensive driving course could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will help reduce the cost of coverage.
How to know if you need help
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions can aid in determining if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an insurance agent.
Factors that can influence Chevy Malibu insurance rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that help determine your insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to big savings.
The following are some of the factors that factor into prices.
- Increase deductibles and save – Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your insurance will be on Malibu coverage.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Cars with high safety ratings get lower rates. The safest vehicles result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Chevy Malibu has ratings of a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you are probably receiving a discount.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – The more you drive in a year the more you will pay for insurance. Most insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Autos not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Improper usage on your Malibu can result in significantly higher rates. Ask your agent if your insurance policy is showing the correct driver usage.
- With age comes lower rates – Young drivers are statistically proven to get distracted easily when driving so they pay higher insurance rates. Parents adding a young driver to your insurance policy can be very expensive. More mature drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Driving with no insurance can get your license suspended and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay more, but not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a steep fine or even jail time.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all aid in stopping car theft.
Do drivers who switch really save?
Drivers can’t ignore all the ads for the lowest price auto insurance from companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the ads have a common claim about savings if you move your policy.
But how can every company say the same thing?
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that is profitable for them. An example of a profitable customer could possibly be over the age of 50, has no driving citations, and has great credit. Any driver that hits that “sweet spot” receives the best rates and therefore will save when switching.
Potential customers who don’t qualify for these standards will be quoted higher premiums and this can result in business going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “customers that switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. This is how companies can truthfully make those claims.
This emphasizes why you absolutely need to compare many company’s rates. Because you never know the company that will give you the biggest savings on Chevy Malibu insurance.
Specifics of your car insurance policy
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Listed below are typical coverage types found on most car insurance policies.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits, their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked. Normally the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Coverage for medical expenses
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for expenses for things like chiropractic care, dental work, funeral costs, rehabilitation expenses and X-ray expenses. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Auto liability insurance
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to other people or property by causing an accident. It protects you from claims by other people, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 100/300/100 which stand for $100,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $300,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have one limit called combined single limit (CSL) that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for claims like funeral expenses, structural damage, emergency aid, legal defense fees and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Collision coverage protection
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against things such as backing into a parked car, rolling your car, sideswiping another vehicle, driving through your garage door and crashing into a building. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Comprehensive car insurance
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like hitting a deer, falling objects, fire damage, hitting a bird and vandalism. The maximum payout a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
More quotes. Lower rates.
Discount 2012 Chevy Malibu insurance is available from both online companies as well as from independent agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance coverage companies don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to lower your insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the lowest priced insurance coverage comes from a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
When buying insurance coverage, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, someone dropped physical damage coverage and learned later they didn’t have enough coverage. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford.
Additional detailed information can be found in the articles below:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Dodge Grand Caravan Insurance
- Nissan Altima Insurance
- Toyota Prius Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area