Lower Your 2005 Toyota Tacoma Insurance Quotes
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Dec 2, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
No one cherishes buying insurance, especially when they are paying too much. Companies like GEICO, Progressive and Allstate all claim big savings, bombarding you with advertising and consumers find it hard to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there are discounts available that many people don’t even know exist. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about prior to getting the savings. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for a discount up to 10% on Tacoma coverage.
- Life Insurance – Larger companies have lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Student in College – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers pay less when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home can help you save on car insurance because maintaining a house shows financial diligence.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for switching policies before your current policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
- New Vehicle Savings – Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less since new cars are generally safer.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will help reduce the cost of coverage.
Compare the Market for Insurance Coverage
There are several ways to shop for Toyota Tacoma insurance coverage, but some are easier and takes less work. You could spend your day driving to insurance companies in your area, or you could save time and use the internet to get rate comparisons in just a few minutes.
All the larger companies participate in an industry program where prospective buyers enter their coverage request one time, and each company can give them a price determined by their information. This prevents consumers from doing quote forms for each company you want a rate for.
To submit your quote information now, click here (opens in new window).
The one disadvantage to comparing rates this way is you are unable to specify the companies you will receive quotes from.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just ensure you are comparing exactly the same deductibles and coverage limits with every price quote. If you use different deductibles it’s not possible to make an equal comparison.
Toyota Tacoma insurance rates are influenced by…
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that may reward you with big savings.
The following are a partial list of the pieces auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Big city or small town – Being located in small towns and rural areas can save you money when buying auto insurance. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers who live in large cities tend to have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Longer commute distances means more change of being in an accident.
- Males pay more for insurance – The statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both are in accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI.
- Better crash test results mean better rates – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you. If your Toyota has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are a lot of extra coverages that can waste your money if you aren’t careful. Things like vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness and additional equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem like a good idea when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your Toyota from damage. A few examples of covered claims would be collision with another vehicle, collision with an animal, or theft. The deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more money you have to pay, the lower your rates will be on Tacoma coverage.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- Liability insurance protects assets – The liability section of your policy is the protection if ever you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Good drivers have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Even a single speeding ticket can increase rates twenty percent or more. Drivers with flagrant tickets such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether you could use an agent’s help.
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- What is PIP insurance?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent.
Specifics of your insurance policy
Learning about specific coverages of your policy helps when choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring. Below you’ll find the usual coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision) – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from getting keyed. The highest amount your insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Insurance for medical payments – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for short-term medical expenses like funeral costs, X-ray expenses and EMT expenses. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. They cover both the driver and occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverage – This will pay to fix damage to your Tacoma from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like hitting a mailbox, damaging your car on a curb and rolling your car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also choose a higher deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Liability auto insurance – This coverage provides protection from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people that is your fault. It protects YOU against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see values of 100/300/100 which means a $100,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $300,000 in injury protection per accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage pays for claims like loss of income, bail bonds and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying higher limits if possible.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
Due to the fact that many drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Be a Smart Shopper
Lower-priced 2005 Toyota Tacoma insurance can be found online and with local insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
We’ve covered many ways to save on insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from the smaller companies. Smaller companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
For more information, link through to these articles:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Ford Fusion Insurance
- Dodge Grand Caravan Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area