Lower Your 2001 Toyota Tacoma Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Jun 27, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Want cheaper insurance rates for your Toyota Tacoma? Nobody I know enjoys paying for insurance, in particular when their premiums are too high.
Drivers have multiple insurance companies to buy insurance from, and although it’s a good thing to have a selection, so many choices can make it hard to compare company pricing.
It’s important to compare prices quite often since rates change regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest rates for Tacoma insurance a year ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. You can find a lot of wrong information about insurance on the internet, so with this article, you’re going to get some good information on how to find cheap insurance.
Cut your premium with discounts
Car insurance companies do not list every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down some of the more common and the harder-to-find ways to save on auto insurance.
- Good Student – A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Driver Safety – Completing a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a break if you buy life insurance.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more for Tacoma insurance than their less cautious counterparts.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it doesn’t quite work that way.
A partial list of companies who might offer these money-saving discounts include:
- 21st Century
- State Farm
- The Hartford
Check with each insurance company which discounts they offer. Some discounts may not apply everywhere.
Comprehensive Insurance Coverage Comparison Quotes
When shopping for insurance coverage there are multiple ways to compare quotes from insurance coverage companies in your area. The best way to compare 2001 Toyota Tacoma insurance prices consists of shopping online. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The easiest and least time consuming way consumers can make multiple comparisons is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This form prevents you from having to do repetitive form submissions to each individual insurance coverage company. One simple form compares rates from all major companies.
A slightly less efficient method to compare prices requires visiting each company website to request a price quote. For examples sake, let’s assume you want to compare GEICO, State Farm and GMAC. You would have to visit each site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
Whichever way you use, be sure to compare exactly the same information on every quote you get. If you are comparing different values for each quote it’s not possible to determine which rate is truly the best. Slightly different limits could mean much higher rates. And when price shopping your coverage, obtaining a wide range of quotes will enable you to find a better price.
Impacting insurance rates for a Toyota Tacoma
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that play a part in calculating your insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in better insurance rates.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Where you live can impact rates – Residing in a small town can be a good thing when it comes to insurance. Less people living in that area means reduced accidents. City drivers have to deal with much more traffic to deal with and a longer drive to work. More time on the road means more change of being in an accident.
- Little extras can really add up – There are a lot of extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your insurance policy. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment initially, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
- Pleasure use or commuting – Driving more miles every year the more you will pay for insurance. Most insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Improper usage on your Tacoma can result in significantly higher rates. Double check that your insurance coverage is rated on the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- A clean driving record saves money – Just one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Careful drivers get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have severe citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When it comes to choosing the best insurance coverage coverage for your vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions could help you determine if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my 2001 Toyota Tacoma?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Educate yourself about car insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of your car insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are typical coverages found on most car insurance policies.
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your 2001 Toyota Tacoma.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Medical costs insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for bills for X-ray expenses, rehabilitation expenses, prosthetic devices and pain medications. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as falling objects, theft, damage from flooding, hitting a deer and vandalism. The maximum payout a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Liability insurance can cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property in an accident. It protects you from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see limits of 100/300/100 which stand for a limit of $100,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $300,000, and property damage coverage for $100,000.
Liability insurance covers things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, court costs and emergency aid. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but consider buying as large an amount as possible.
This will pay to fix damage to your Tacoma resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for things like crashing into a ditch, hitting a mailbox and crashing into a building. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Pennies from heaven
Cheaper 2001 Toyota Tacoma insurance is attainable online and also from your neighborhood agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
We just presented a lot of techniques to lower your insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may be surprised to find that the best price on auto insurance is with a small local company. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
For more information, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Nissan Altima Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Subaru Outback Insurance
- Toyota Highlander Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area